Day 3,724—a story from 20 Years ago and running for 40 hours starting tomorrow —



After thinking about my original plan of running 40 hours in 5 days, I’ve decided, for mainly practical reasons, that I will need to run for 40 hours in 3 days. I don’t have a lot of the details worked out except, I am going to try to run for 40 hours, which will mean hopefully 200 miles in 3 days. That’s 13 hours and 20 minutes of running each day, which would roughly be a round 67 miles. 

It is kind of a lot, and I haven’t done much to prepare, but if not now, when? And if I don’t end up being able to do as much as I want, then that will still be more if I don’t try. I am not ready to give up before I start. I want a unique challenge, something I have never done before, and I think this is it. And with any challenge worth doing, I usually don’t know if I can or not.  

Maybe I’ll write the story tomorrow. It is weird how I am still feeling like I don’t want to write about any of these things that happened so long ago. I think they're good stories. I just don’t love thinking about them, and somehow many of these moments still feel private, not that I am afraid of other people knowing. I just don't feel like other people deserve to know some of these things, but when I think about what I like to read, it is exactly the kind of stuff that I hesitate to continue to write about. 

There is a category of stories I have thought about writing before, and this one belongs in that category. They are all true stories that I will admit are probably more common than I know, but to me, they feel incomplete, and I will still sometimes think about them what they mean, and why they happened. The category would be something like “People I knew that Randomly Died.” None of these individuals in my examples are people that I was extremely close with, but I knew them all well either at work or school. They all died in preventable ways: car accidents, fighting in war, criminal violence, illness, etcetera. There were at least two people like that I knew in high school. Then a few more from growing up to college. And two teachers I worked with, one being my classroom neighbor and then at least four of my students.

Nobody likes to talk about death or even acknowledge its existence, but I don’t know, these are stories I think everyone can relate to. When someone seems to die randomly, and you’re not okay with it, but you don’t know what the right way to respond is.



Comments

the Most Epic Runs