Day 3168 —Through the Snow and Cold— with classic HOLIDAY LIGHTS

The poem version (thanks to chatGPS)


“Through the Snow and Cold” 


I am the runner, through snow and cold 

I lace up my shoes, my heart so bold 

I dress in layers, to brave the freeze 

I take to the streets, with energy and ease


I lift my feet high, as I run through the snow 

Avoiding the dips and bumps, that I may not know 

I am thankful for this day, to train for the race 

That lies ahead in January, a difficult pace


I think of the one, who ran before 

Finishing the race, a feat of lore 

I have a good feeling, I will join the list 

As the second to finish, with perseverance and grit


I am the runner, through wind and storm 

I am unstoppable, my spirit is warm 

I run with vigor, through the snowy night 

I am the runner, with all my might



I haven't done much to look at the lights when it's dark. I usually make a special trip to see the lights early in the morning leading up to the holidays, but I didn't think about it this year. I'm looking through the pictures I took last year around this time, trying to recall the routine I had then, but I can barely remember those days.

I dressed warmly, wearing layers around my neck and head, and an extra layer on top and bottom. It was supposed to be as cold as it was yesterday, but the wind wasn't nearly as bad. It felt like -9.

When I started running, I was glad I had dressed so warmly. Part of me was even thinking about some parts of my body that were already getting cold and needed more coverage. But after a mile or so, I started feeling warm and just tired of running in the snow.

I was still wearing my metal spikes on my shoes, so I couldn't get into much of a groove. Most of the streets had been plowed, but there was enough snow on the sidewalks to make me feel like I made the right decision wearing them. What I didn't think about was how exhausting it is to lift my feet so high as I run. It's like running on leaves on a trail in a lot of ways, because you don't know what you're stepping on and you must lift your feet high to avoid tripping on uneven pavement.

I'm thankful for a day like this to help me train for the race in January. It's crazy to think that only one person has finished this race before, but I have a good feeling that I'll be the second person.



Comments

the Most Epic Runs