Day 2,954 —Berryman Part II and Today — with a PICTURE of a SIGN on the SIDEWALK #739

I am still feeling relatively strong and had a difficult time going to sleep last night. I was up at 6 and started catching up on chores before I went to run. 

Below are more details from the Berryman that I was not able to include on my previous post.  


The first five miles or so everyone ran it silently. It took a while for the group to get spread-out across the trail. Once it did, I was able to chat with more runners. I talked to a guy that lives in the same area as me. We both follow each other on Strava, and it was nice meeting him in person. This other guy was slowly getting back into running ultras after injury. 

There were two guys I ran with for a while in the first half that were friendly and both from out of town. One guy who was wearing sandals told me he was living the nomadic lifestyle and had triple crowned the AT. Another guy had started running in the fall of last year. He was so optimistic and had accomplished a lot in less than a year. 

I was with him when the storm really hit. We both joked that we would never be able to describe to anyone else exactly what it was like being out there alone in the wilderness. But, I am going to try anyway--It felt like a tropical forest because the humidity was so thick. The thunder was so loud, and the rain was coming down fast with big cold droplets punching you in the face—again and again. You cannot escape from being wet and cold, but also you need to keep moving. The paths start to turn into creeks and streams. There is nowhere to step that does not totally submerge your feet into mud and water. Everything is happening all at once, and you wonder, how long will it be like this? 

One guy I found hobbling along using a big stick to lean on as he walked. He thought he might have ruptured his Achilles. That must have been a difficult 2-3 miles to hobble along to get to the aid station, so someone could take him back. The funny thing was is that he seemed like he was in a good mood. 

I ran into one of my brother’s friends from 13 years ago. He said he recognized me because I looked like my brother. I ran with him and a guy that I had met that morning. They were both moving well for a while, but then I ended up going on a head. 

I waited a long time to start pushing myself, but I was ready at mile 36 and did two sub 10 minute miles, and just kept going as hard as I could without being dumb. I had to slow down a lot for mud, and I walked a few more hills, but I past a few people in those last 16 miles of the race, and was able to finish the last six stronger than I had done the previous loop. I could not have been happier with my performance and the race in general. 

Today, I am still in a good mood thinking about it. Sure, my ear is still bothering me, and I cannot hear very well out of my left ear, but I am sure that would have been still bothering me regardless. 

I was not dreading today’s run, and it went by quickly. Congratulations to all my fellow racers! It was a tough day, and I was inspired by how so many of you didn’t even seem to notice. The volunteers were awesome and smiled and laughed with me.



Comments

the Most Epic Runs