Day 3,782 —Reflections on the Shawnee 100 Part II: Yes, I Wanted Quit—

 

Today,

I'm still a little slow getting out of bed. I soaked in the tub last night. I wanted to edit my video more. While everything is still fresh in my mind. I am still in shock at how well my body has recovered. I don’t know if I can credit myself or just my body’s ability to adapt after doing this enough times. I would like to think that my body and I are working together better than we have in a long time.

 

 

Day 3,779-3,780—the Shawnee 100 Part II: Yes, I Wanted to Quit—

 

Lap:   2

Miles: 34-66

Time: 10 hours

Average Pace: 18 minutes and 45 seconds

Time of Day: 2 p.m. — Midnight

 

 

         I started on lap two thinking that I was doing okay but dealing with a blister on my right foot already. I was looking forward to seeing my dad and being able to change in the tent. I might have slowed down at the start, but the first 5–6 miles to Trigg Tower was the easiest section in the course. There is also a 1.5-mile section that is a gravel road. It isn’t great when it is super hot, but otherwise, it is mostly flat, and great to catch up on pace.

         I approached a group of hikers that looked like they were having fun. I didn’t know if I should shout, but I figured that one of them would notice me, but they didn’t and when they saw me, some of them screamed and said I scared them. I felt bad. I was just moving pretty normally, not trying to call attention to myself, but when they saw me, they all moved out of the way like I was massive and needed a ton of space to make it through the trail.

 

I talked with my dad some and cooled down with my portable AC. I changed my socks and shirt. I didn’t spend that much time, but I felt like I was taking forever. I knew the next part would be tough, and now I am thinking about how tough the section is starting now. You do roughly 18 miles before you go back to Trigg Tower, so I was thinking I would see my dad soon at Trigg Tower, but it might be more than a few hours. I told him that I didn’t like the water at the aid stations and asked that he get some bottled water for me. I didn’t want to make a big deal about it but I felt like the water at some of the aid stations tasted awful and it was warm. I felt bad for complaining and then headed back out.

        

“YOU’RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!” Someone started yelling at me as I was heading out the correct way out of Trigg Tower, but it was so jarring because this is exactly what happened to me my first year.

 I turned around and informed the woman who was telling me that I was going the wrong way. In fact, I did know where I was going, and I would appreciate it if she would stop telling me I was going the wrong way.

         In her defense, there are not a lot of us 100-mile runners on the course and at this point, Trigg Tower had only seen three other 100-mile runner, and they came through a few hours before I did.

I was rattled and upset as I left Trigg Tower, and I was determined to make it to the aid station that had my headlamp. I didn’t know if I was going to be able to make it there before the sun went down, but I knew I was going to be close, I was miserable, and I wanted to quit.

 

Hydration: Still had only peed once  

Food: I ate some chips

Health: Blisters in my right food, feeling sick, starting to feel like I could be sick. Not hungry.

 

I know I had still not had caffeine or started listening to music. Although I was having a mini meltdown right at mile 50ish, I was still holding onto hoping, knowing I had coping strategies that I had yet to tap into.

 

I was walking more, going up hills. I tripped a few times. I was doing 20-minute miles and feeling like I was going as hard as I could. When I made it to the aid station with my headlamp, I was so happy that it wasn’t that dark. I changed my socks again and tried to eat some and get some more water. I asked if they had food, and they said they had instant mashed potatoes that didn’t have milk that they would make for me by the next time I came through.

         It wasn’t ideal because I was just craving any type of real food (vegan) at this point. I didn’t want anything too sweet or too salty, so I was unhappy with everything I had. I was still eating chips, but that was it. There were a lot of nonvegan options for real food like bacon and cheese quesadillas.

         As I was packing up my stuff and heading back out, I overheard a runner talking about someone who dropped.

         “I have never seen anyone do anything like that before. You run 50 miles and then just get in your truck and drink beer?”

         I felt bad for whoever they were talking about. It sounded like someone got dehydrated and had to stop. It can happen so easily, and I was dealing with it now. I was even dry-heaving some, but I remembered the most important thing I do is that I slow down!

         That’s right, not “drink water” but slow down. I didn’t like it, but I kept it slow all the way until it got dark enough for me to use my headlamp, and then I started peeing more, and it was clear.

        

Hydration: I am hydrated!

Food: More chips

Health: Blisters in my right food, a little sick, but mostly tired.

 

I make it back to Trigg Tower at mile 58. My dad was surprised it took me so long, but I knew I was doing the right thing. I drank some caffeine for the first time while I sat with my dad. I also learned I was now in 2nd place! Two people in front of me had dropped.

 

My dad seemed to think that I was going to stay going close to 3 miles an hour. But I knew once I got some caffeine in me, ate some food, and started listening to music I would be crushing it again.

         I made it to the next aid station quickly and got a cold bean burrito that was making me feel even better. I ran as hard as I could to the start/finish. I wanted to make it under midnight, which I did!

Now, I am singing along to music smiling big and feeling unstoppable.

Comments

the Most Epic Runs