Day 4,487—Running with Jeremiah in Springfield —

 


Start time: 7:47 a.m.

Weather: High 60s, wind 3.8  mi/h, Humidity 90%


        It was nice to have motivation to start earlier today. I was still in vacation mode, so I knew I wouldn’t be able to run a usual amount, but I wanted to run closer to a long run today, so I told Jeremiah to meet me at 7. We ran over to the park. He said this is where most people ran in the area, and it was a pretty park. We talked about races, and he mentioned the elusive quality of the 200-mile-plus races. He called them a kind of witchcraft, and I know what he means because there is something otherworldly about experiencing one. It can be a strangely out-of-body experience. It feels like the race is happening to you. Also, the bizarreness of feeling completely depleted, then transitioning later to feelings of euphoria and moving faster than at any other point in the race.

        I am sticking with my desire to focus on the 100-mile distance, but life can be long, and I don’t know what the future might hold after my 50-state project is complete. Right now, I am thinking I could shift into two goals. One is trying to visit as many different countries as possible, and the other is continuing to do as many different races as possible. Still, I also like the idea of being directionless for a while after I finish the state goal. It will be nice not to have the pressure of running new states every year.

        We parted after about 8 miles, and I checked on my family and then went out and did a few more. What struck me as so odd was how cool it suddenly was today and how much I was enjoying being somewhere different. I loved this picture of the water tower! And a few more I took. The Lincoln Museum and Library were fun but mostly delivered what I remembered from my last visit. My daughter was too young at 7, and my son was the right age at 3! She is just going through a phase when everything is scary. I had forgotten how violent some of the exhibits are in the museum. I know it comes with the territory, but I think I knew more about Lincoln going in for the first time. I planned on reading to her about him this week but just forgot. It is sad to see the end of July, and I start back at work on the 10th! It has been a good summer, and I want to fit in as much as I can this week! 


Watch the Florida Race Video if you haven’t yet. It is no joke, the best race video I have made to date! It is easier to be honest during these races. Maybe I have finally made enough to relax. 


youtube. com/ @DanielVirtue


Comments