Day 4,499—Peace and Frustration—
Start time: 5:32 a.m.
Weather: Low 80s wind 3.6 mi/h, Humidity 77%
It was one of those mornings that I was awake and doing things, but I was so out of it I couldn’t register much. I was thinking maybe I would run 4 today because I was sore and didn’t feel like doing much. Also, my toenail is in the process of falling off, and my cat bumped it first thing in the morning, and it hurt so much I wanted to scream, but there I was outside running downhill a little after 5:30.
I saw the people working on the road, and I was impressed with how quickly they seemed to get the road functional again. I went across the train track to the cemetery because I didn’t feel like running around other people or cars. I just wanted to be by myself as I struggled through the run, but I wasn’t watching my pace; I was listening to my favorite podcast. I thought about how thick the brush had gotten since I did this last and wondered if it was going to get to the point where I wouldn’t be able to cut through this way. Once I made it, I noticed how much work they had completed on the seminary since I was last there. I saw a light far in the distance and ran toward it, and I noticed the church they erected was now complete. It is a cool-looking concrete building. I want to say it is that style of architecture that the movie was about a few years ago. It is called brutalism or something like that. I love the way the three bells look out front. I look inside the church with its lights on and what look like stained-glass windows, but I immediately do a double-take when I notice the statues inside. There is one of Jesus on the cross in a 1:1 scale that is both disturbing and genuinely scary. There's another one on the left, also at least 1:1 scale, of Jesus holding a child, and again it looks frightening and sinister in its depiction. The sign says they’re open daily from 8-5, so maybe I will check out the inside one day and get some pictures, so you can see what I am talking about.








Comments
Post a Comment