Day 4,491—a Sudden Rainstorm—
Start time: 7:29 a.m.
Weather: High 60s, wind .7 mi/h, Humidity 95%
I got up before 6 today! I am not sure why, because I figured I would have slept in after my lack of sleep this week. I also stayed up last night until almost midnight watching The Devil Wears Prada 2 with my wife, which was not the worst movie I have ever seen, but it was uniquely immoral and lacked any substance. I was getting mad at it, but I did want to see how it ended. It was hard to look away from a movie filled with so many great actors, but the screenplay was so bad it made me angry. Also, how all the male characters dressed was appalling; maybe I wouldn’t notice so much, but it is a movie about fashion, so most of the appeal is about the clothes, and yet many of the male leads were wearing blue with blue. It was also shocking to see BJ Novak on screen again and look like he has been on a decade-long alcohol and drug binge since he appeared in The Office. He looked so gaunt, and his face was so sunken. I looked up what he has been doing but only found articles that his PR firm put out for him.
I was trying to figure out the moral of the movie, and it seemed to be that while big fashion might be problematic for many obvious reasons, the tech industry was far worse. I think both may be bad, which was an idea not explored in this film. I have seen so many good movies recently, so I don’t want to fixate on this one. I just saw The Invite on Tuesday night, and it was the best new movie I have seen in years. The writing, the acting, the lighting, the set design, the costumes were all on point. It was also a bottle movie (which is one of my favorite kinds of movies), and it featured couples arguing about cringeworthy stuff, which I also love. The end of the movie was both surprising and predictable. There was a moral or lesson, but at no point did it come off as preachy or like it knew something that I didn’t. I don’t know how much love it is going to get during award season, but I imagine it won’t be soon forgotten.








Comments
Post a Comment